A common find in household backyards has been blamed for the tragic death of this family dog, prompting vets to reissue strong warnings for owners. The NSW RSPCA has sent out a renewed notice to Aussie pet owners after the tragic death of a US family’s puppy went viral online.
Kristin Brun revealed the moment she pulled a mushroom out of her puppy Obie’s mouth after letting the nine-month-old roam around their backyard. Within 20 minutes, Obie began to drool and vomit, prompting the family to call the vet.
They found more of the suspicious mushrooms in their backyard and discarded them. “We called the vet immediately, and they informed us to pull food away and only provide water and that in a few hours, the symptoms would subside,” Brun wrote on Facebook.
“By 8 pm, he was done with vomiting and diarrhea and was now an exhausted puppy. “We stayed up with him until 11 pm, at which time he went into his crate to lay down and go to sleep. “When we woke at 7.30 am, he had passed.”
It was later revealed the puppy had eaten a deadly death cap mushroom, which can cause liver failure within 6 hours of eating. The fungus, scientifically known as Amanita phalloides, is poisonous enough to kill a healthy adult if ingested.
RSPCA NSW Chief Veterinarian Liz Arnott warned owners to check their backyards regularly for dangerous fungi. “Regularly check the areas your pets have access to, remove and dispose of any mushrooms found,” Liz told 7NEWS.com.au.
“The signs and seriousness of the toxicity can vary from mild gut upset to neurological symptoms to the possibly fatal liver or kidney failure. “If you see your dog eat a mushroom, see the vet immediately as there may be the opportunity to reduce the amount they digest and absorb.
“Be particularly aware in wet, warm weather that mushrooms may be about. If you see your dog eat a mushroom, see the vet immediately as there may be the opportunity to reduce the amount they digest and absorb.”