— Tech News

Defence department considering a Plan B to French subs, senate estimates told

1 Mins read

 

The defense department says that an alternative to French-designed submarines is being considered for Australia if the multi-billion dollar project cannot go ahead. Defense secretary Greg Moriarty said the department was doing “contingency planning” if the Future Submarines project, to be built in Adelaide, doesn’t proceed.

“I wouldn’t refer to it as Plan B; I’d say prudent contingency planning,” Mr. Moriarty told a Senate estimates hearing on Wednesday. Mr. Moriarty said he had thought more about the issue over the last 12 months and had several discussions with senior officers about how to proceed if building the 12 Attack Class submarines falls through.

“It became clear to me that we were having challenges with the Attack class program over the last 15, 12 months,” he said. “So, of course, you do reasonably prudent thinking about what one of those options might be or what you might be able to do if you’re unable to proceed.”

However, Mr. Moriarty said no decision had been made, and the government was committed to the project with the French submarine company, Naval Group. “The government is committed to trying to work through with naval group and build a regionally superior submarine in Adelaide.”

Mr. Moriarty said ministers had been briefed about the situation but would not elaborate, when pressed, about the “alternative capability pathways”. “Some of it is highly classified and has to do with our interpretation of the threat environment,” he said.

683 posts

About author
Tristan McCue is a 26-year-old junior programmer who enjoys reading, binge-watching boxed sets, and appearing in the background on TV. He is smart and friendly, but can also be very evil and a bit lazy.He is an Australian Christian. He has a post-graduate degree in computing.
Articles
Related posts
— Tech News

A Tesla has trapped 10 cars in a Westfield carpark after the battery died

1 Mins read
A hi-tech electric car has broken down at the worst possible time, trapping motorists for hours inside a shopping center carpark. A…
— Tech News

Port Beach North Fremantle shark attack: Police search for missing person

2 Mins read
Police are searching for a person believed to be missing in the water after a shark attack at Port Beach on Saturday…
— Tech News

Men filmed taking selfie with shark at popular Adelaide beach

1 Mins read
A group of men in South Australia have been captured dragging a shark onto an Adelaide beach and posing for selfies within….
Get All Latest Blog Direct In Your Website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.